A move is the best time to implement new work processes and technologies to help create greater efficiency, raise productivity and morale, and control long-term occupancy costs. However, problems in the relocation process most frequently arise through insufficient planning. The following should help you avoid common pitfalls during your company’s next move.
Assemble a relocation team that includes a team leader, human resources representative, architect, mover, furniture vendor and telecom vendor. An accountant may also be helpful to assess tax implications.
Review Lease Obligations
Review the relevant terms of your lease for restoration provisions, specific restrictions on moving days/hours, landlord notice provisions, insurance requirements, etc.
Develop A Personal Policy
The Relocation Team should interface with the Human Resources Department to develop employee relocation policies and provide notice of move schedules and times. The team should collectively develop a move orientation package that includes maps, lists of local amenities, instructions for new security, phone and data systems, telephone extension lists, e-mail addresses, etc.
Implement the Moving Plan
Your company’s physical move should include the following:
- Develop a move schedule and timeline for implementation of the move.
- Inventory and tag all current furniture, fixtures and equipment.
- Obtain at least three competitive bids from each vendor.
- Order furniture and telecom systems well in advance of the move date (8-12 weeks in tight markets).
- Develop a reuse or disposition plan for existing furniture.
- Advise all suppliers and vendors of move date and other required information.
- Have extra copies of floor and furniture plans available for vendors.
- Order new stationary well in advance of the move date (8-10 weeks).
- Arrange regular “progress” inspections of the new premises with members of the Relocation Team.
- Coordinate availability and use of freight elevators for both your old and new locations prior to move date.
- Consider having a security guard on premises for the move date.
The following “Rules of Thumb” may be helpful for budgeting your move. However, these costs can vary by region as well as by vendors, brands and models.
Moving: $1.50 to $1.75 psf
Furniture: $15.00 to $20.00 psf
Telephone System: $750.00 per person